Drag & Drop Editor
MailPoet is an app that integrates with WordPress to provide complete Newsletter capabilities such as sign up forms, managing lists and subscribers, creating and sending newsletter and tracking opens and clicks.
On this page:
By default MailPoet comes with 2 Lists, a WordPress Users list and a Newsletter mailing list. In most cases this is fine and no changes are needed.
However if you'd like to segregate your users to provide them different content you can create a new list or a new segment. Segments allow you to group or filter your subscribers by other criteria, such as events and actions.
To create a new List or Segment
- Using the Dashboard menu, click MailPoet > Lists
- Near the top of the window, click New List or New Segment
- Then type a Name and optionally a Description
MailPoet requires that your subscribers "confirm sign up" to use their sending service. This means that when someone fills out a form on your website to become a subscriber, they are sent a confirmation email. They must click a link in that email to confirm sign up. They are then sent a Welcome email if once has been setup.
- A user enters their name and email address in a form on your website to sign up to be a subscriber to your newsletter.
- Their name is then added to your Newsletter Subscriber List (or another list that was setup) as Unconfirmed.
- A sign up confirmation link is sent to their email address.
- Once they click the confirmation link then a Welcome newsletter will be sent to them (if one has been setup).
- Their status will then change to subscribed.
Sometimes people will forgot to click the confirmation link, or the confirmation email goes to their spam or junk folder. In those cases, you can manually confirm them.
To manually confirm your subscribers:
- Using the Dashboard menu, click MailPoet > Subscribers
- Click the Unconfirmed tab
- Hover over each user and click Edit
- Under Status, choose Subscribed
You can import subscribers that you've exported from MailChimp or other software. Paste the data, upload a CSV file, or import the data directly from MailChimp using your MailChimp API Key.
- Using MailPoet > Subscribers
- Click Import next to Add New, at the top of the page
- Read the notice about cleaning your list and
- Click Got it, or
- Click How can I clean my list? to use a free tool to check the status of theemail addresses.
- Choose to either:
- Paste the data
- Upload a CSV file
- Import from MailChimp using your API Key (get your MailChimp API Key here)
- Match the previous columns to the new columns and follow the instructions onscreen to import the data
A default template has been setup for you. You can use it as a starting point or start from scratch or duplicate a previously sent email.
1. Create a new newsletter
- Using the Dashboard menu, click MailPoet > Emails
- Near the top of the window, click New Email or hover over an email already sent and click duplicate.
- Then choose to create a regular Newsletter, setup a Welcome Email or setup Latest Post Notifications
- Then click Select on a premade template, or click the Your saved templates tab to choose the one made for you.
2. Design your newsletter
On the right side of the screen you'll find the content types that can be added to your newsletter such as Text, Image, Button etc. Simply click and drag to add these to your newsletter.
3. Save your newsletter
Click the Save button in the upper right corner to save your email. You can also use the dropdown menu and save your newsletter as a new template.
send a newsletter
- Once you're done editing your newsletter, click the Next button in the upper right corner.
- Then choose a List to send your newsletter to.
- Under Sender, type your name and email or leave the default. This should be something your subscriber will recognize.
- Under Reply-to, type a name and email address that your subscribers can reply to. Again, this should be recognizable.
- Type a Google Analytics Campaign name so you can track your subscribers reaction to your newsletter.
- Click Save as draft and close or Send
Once a subscriber has confirmed their subscription, a welcome email will be sent (if one has been setup).
To setup a Welcome Newsletter
- From the Dashboard menu, click MailPoet > Emails
- Under Welcome Email, click Setup
- Choose the settings for the Welcome Email
- Choose a starting template for the Welcome Email
- Design the email
- Click Next
- Verify that your settings are correct
- Click Send
monitor your opens and clicks
Using the Dashboard menu, click MailPoet > Emails. The Status and Opened, Clicked are shown in the Email table.